How to Make Your Own Jet Stilts
It is fun and easy to walk around on stilts. And they are not too hard to build.
You will need:
Since you will be using power tools, my mom insists I warn you that adult supervision is an absolutely non-negotiable requirement!
1. Cut a short piece from each 2 x 4. Those will be the foot rests. The long 2 x 4s should be the same length. The small pieces don’t have to be.
2. Drill two holes in the long 2 x 4s where the foot rests are going to attach. These holes should be a bit smaller than the thickness of the screws. The higher you put these holes, the higher you’ll stand, but the harder it will be to walk and get on and off.
3. Insert the screws in the holes and attach the foot rests. You will have a bigger place to stand upon if you screw into the narrow side of the foot rest, but either way works. If you wish, you may also use glue make the foot rest stronger.
4. Drape the cloth over the top of the 2 x 4…or lower around the wood if that’s where your hands naturally grab.
5. Attach the cloth with small nails. The cloth will make holding on more comfortable.
6. It’s probably a good idea to use elbow guards and knee pads when walking on your homemade stilts.
7. You probably noticed that the stilts the four of us are using above are not the same as the plans. That’s because Granpa sort of made those…and he’s way more professional than most kids, so we made the plans much easier.
Let me know how you do in the comments.